2008年2月21日

Be patient and work hard!



Story sharing - Be patient and work hard to resume your career in Vancouver!

Florence Kao, Feb 21 2008

It's never being easy to recall what I got through in the last several months since we arrived in Vancouver. It takes courage and times to look back, detach from those emotions and find the ways out. But, if there is something I can share with others and let them understand that they are not alone and eventually if they can get motivated and keep moving forwards, then it is worth a try.

When I and family arrived the Lower Mainland in July 2007, we spent a lot of time on settlement issues, such as accommodation, driving license, kids school and car purchase. It was a fun but sometime frustrating process. At the same time, it worried us when we faced the high living cost, the raising oil price, house price and strong Canadian dollar. It won't feel at ease to just consume bank savings and without any recurring incomes.

Luckily, I found the information of "Douglas College - Working Solutions for Skilled Immigrants Program" at library. So I contacted them and immediately registered as their client. However, I was not very aggressively working on their program. There were still lots of frustrations at that point of time, and I was still not yet regain my confidence in this "foreign" environment.

Lots of frustration made me doubted about the decision of immigrating to the new land. The emotions kept coming back and asking why I should let go the reputation and experiences we established in the native country, and how can I play low in the new country.

The one-on-one consultation meetings with Douglas College consultant kept on going, and the follow-up actions from each meeting were also continuing in progress. The program consultant kept inviting every registered immigrant to attend their workshops, such as job searching, writing cover letter and résumé, and interview skills workshops. But with my own hesitation, there were still limited progress in my career move.

But with the casual contacts and information sharing from program consultants either through emails, phones or face to face conversations. They are all the warm reminders which push us to keep moving forwards. At the same time, I spent time with new friends, actively participated in kid’s activities at school and continued teaching kids crafts in church. All of these activities gradually help to regain my confidence.

Maybe it is just about time, after several months, I get quite familiar with all the people around me and can easily exchange greetings and make small talk with strangers. I can also feel comfortable to take bus and Skytrain to other cities. I think the confidence also build on the familiar with the external environment.

So, I start to take aggressive actions. Since there was no progress at all for the paid-job searching, therefore, I think I should believe and try to start from volunteer jobs. And, this was really a great start and big step. In the first volunteer job, I meet more people and have great connection with some of them.

Since I start, I have the opportunity!
Since I believe, I take actions and have progress!

As a volunteer, I start to have contribution to the society and people. The feedbacks keep coming back and which really help me further retrieve my confidence and values. This is the result I never understand before I work as a volunteer. Helping others makes me realized that we are not just here to consume our life, in stead, we can also have a position to contribute. Very simple, isn't it.

Since I believe, I start studying local professional courses in BCIT, I have processed and completed my ICES report, and I participate in association and gradually have connection with local professionals. I have been qualified for Career Bridge internship opportunity and I am now waiting for an intern position interview.

Since I believe, I plan my career objectives and review actions according to the recommendation from Working Solutions consultant. I went to job fairs and open house hosted by companies and recruitment agencies. I practiced interview several times and met a senior who is passionate to offer to be my career mentor.

Because I believe so I take actions and now I have progress.

Thanks to consultants in Douglas College Working Solutions and people who I met and offered support and guidance to me!

Looking forwards, I believe I am having a good start!

沒有留言: